Tuesday, July 8, 2014

189/365 : Hygienic Lies


Self love is annoying like a nagging Jewish mother

When I was a kid I'd lie about brushing my teeth
I'd even WET THE TOOTHBRUSH
And still not brush 

I also used to click the sound of the seatbelt buckle and STAY UNSTRAPPED

Tiny rebellions
Against myself
That felt like grand rebellions
Against The Authority

The Authority that was never With Me
Just nagging me from the other room

This is how to be Safe Healthy Happy, Rachael
This is how!
(While we slam-door-curse horrid anger balls at each other)

I am here now 
In my own room
And no one's nagging me 
Except the posters of positivity 
I've made for myself
Out of desperation
To protect the parts of myself
I've managed to cherish

This is not a lie of a poem
This is not just wetting the brush

This is what happens with no double-standard nagging:

Teeth rot
Impact hits

You learn for yourself
The importance of hygiene
And helmets

No comments:

Post a Comment